Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Muppet, Baby!

I recently saw The Muppet’s Most Wanted. It is an excellent film, I especially enjoyed the musical numbers. After seeing the film It got me thinking back to the days of McDonald’s toys, (and to a lesser extent Burger King, and the odd other fast food joint). McD toys were a phenomenon in them selves. You eagerly awaited the announcement of the latest batch of toys, then you went to MD every week, sometimes just to buy the toy. It always felt weird walking in and buying a toy and not a burger, but it didn't happen often. Well the Muppet Baby line must of been my favourite. Something about the way they felt, the design, the figure / vehicle combo. I had multiple copies of the set, and played with them often. There was a animated TV show based on the Muppet Baby’s as well, and I have fond memories, even though it was not my favourite at the time, just one I always watched. I don't know if it's because I'm older but the MD toys seem to have lost their appeal. I get them from time to time buy they seem to be watered down versions of what you can get at the store. In the olden days even the cheap Happy Meal Toys were only available at MD's

This is a picture of the Canadian set which included Animal. The rest of the world got Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, and Gonzo. This set came out in 1987.
There was a later set, and under 3 figures, but the above is cemented in my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment